Your browser does not support JavaScript!
Logo: Hospitality at Western University
Lost Card?

If you lose your card, simply report it lost to any Hospitality Services cashier and your card will be immediately deactivated.

You are responsible for any charges against your meal plan account until proper notification of the card loss is received. When you report your card lost and it is invalidated, it cannot be reused should you find it. To "validate" such a card or to have it checked if it is not functioning properly, please visit:

  1. Campus Meal Plan Office
    Room 130, Lambton Hall (1421 Western Road)
  2. Residence Admissions Office
    Room 3C10, Ontario Hall
    Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

If you lose your card, a temporary card may be issued through the Campus Meal Plan Office (Room 130, Lambton Hall, 1421 Western Road). Please be prepared to present picture identification when reporting a lost card.

Meal Plan Inquiry & Top Up

Open a Flex account, check your balance or top up your Flex $ at any time!

Meal Plan Office Hours

Starting Sept 6, regular office hours resume.

Please top up online or contact for assistance
Meal Plan Office
Stay Connected
News & Events
News & Events at Hospitality Services
Online Contact Us Form
Meal Plan Office